Contact Us
Latest News 4 min read

Global Visa and Immigration Round-Up:

Latest News from Around the World

Published on

This week we’re taking a whistle-stop trip around the globe to explore some of the latest goings-on in the world of global workforce mobility – focusing on changes to visa and immigration requirements for expatriate workers.


Changes to Residence Renewal Protocols

Brazil’s immigration authorities released new residence authorisation renewal rules for foreign nationals at the end of July, to come into effect immediately.

The new ruling establishes that the following documents are required for a renewal application:

  • Copy of the National Migration card (also known as the Carteira de Registro Nacional Migratorio/CRNM)
  • Signed declaration of no criminal record

Mauve Group can support with organising background checks and criminal record verifications – contact the team via our website Contact Form for details.

Additionally, the ruling allowed that the Ministry of Labour can grant residence renewals for up to a two-year period or indefinitely depending on circumstance – decisions on an application will be made within 30 days of submission.


Mainland Work Permit Requirement for Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macao Workers Abolished

Workers from three neighbouring countries will no longer require a work permit for mainland China, the government has decided. Employees from the two special administrative regions of Hong Kong and Macao, and the province of Taiwan, had previously needed to apply for a work permit to carry out any work on the mainland.

Although the implementation plans for this new ruling has not yet been confirmed, immigration specialists expect the new protocol will be announced in the coming weeks.


New Registered Rental Agreement Requirement for Work Permit Renewals

In recent years the Saudi Arabian government has implemented a series of tightened controls and requirements over expatriate nationals working in the kingdom, in order to boost job opportunities for local Saudis.

The latest announcement is that foreign nationals will be required to provide a registered rental agreement via the new Enjar online rental platform, as part of their work permit renewals. This requirement will also come into effect for new work permit applications at some point in the future – our Global Immigration team will advise anyone affected when this is applied.


Authorities Requesting More Supporting Documents for ICT/EU ICT Applications

In Spain, the authorities are tightening the requirements around ICT and EU ICT Permit applications by requesting increased evidence of the necessary three years’ work experience and three months’ senior experience from the transferring company, such as payslips or letters of promotion.

The increase in required documents has not been confirmed as a permanent change and the type of documents requested are currently at the discretion of the immigration authorities.


Lecturers/Scholars Now Allowed Entry on Relaxed Visa Conditions, in Some Circumstances

Foreign lecturers or scholars from educational institutions are now permitted to enter South Korea under a business visa or visa-waiver, if they have a contracted invitation to lecture or consult from a governmental body, university or not-for-profit organisation. This is restricted to a period of seven days and can take place at no more than 5 institutions.

Previously, foreign scholars had to apply for a C-4 short-term employment visa in order to enter South Korea and perform lecturing or consulting work.

Egyptian Nationals No Longer Permitted In-Country on Visa-Exempt Status

Egyptian nationals will no longer be permitted to enter South Korea on a 30-day visa-exempt status as was previously the case. This will be implemented from October 2018 and has been introduced to combat illegal immigration from Egypt.


New Registration Requirements for Foreign Nationals

Foreign nationals entering Russia must now legally be registered with the authorities by their host party, as a result a new law instigated just before the World Cup Final in July 2018.

Their “place of stay” must also be registered and is defined as being the location at which the foreign national physically resides at – previously they could utilise their employer’s address, but this is no longer allowed unless the foreign national is living there.

The host party is defined as being the individual or entity responsible for providing the place of stay, for example an employer, landlord, hotel owner, or Highly Qualified Specialists, in the case of foreign national family members living at their owned address. These host parties are now responsible for completing the registration of the individual, rather than the individual themselves as was previously the case – this registration must also take place in person.

Non-compliance will result in penalties and potential risk of deportation for foreign nationals.